Monday, June 21, 2010

My Journey with Food...


About a month ago, our midwife told us that she suspected I may have gestational diabetes. Over the course of two months, I had gained twice as much weight as I was supposed to gain. I was given strict instructions on my diet. Until we got this diabetes thing figured out, I was not allowed to eat any refined sugar or fried food, and very little carbs.

I went in for my first glucose test (where they make you drink something that tastes like super-sweet Gatorade and then take a blood sample). The results came back that my glucose levels were abnormally high, which meant that I had to take yet another blood test a few weeks later.
Meanwhile, I was still adhering to my strict diet. This meant that when friends were going to Starbucks, I couldn't order a decaf iced caramel latte (tons of sugar). No ice cream, cookies, wedding cake, Shirley Temples, or even Yoplait yogurt (filled with sugar). No grabbing a candy bar at Walgreens because I feel like it, or even having lemonade with dinner. When friends are going out to eat at an Italian restaurant, salad is pretty much the only option, because everything else is so high in carbs. All that to say... it has been a very challenging month. Probably one of the biggest lessons I've ever received in discipline and obedience.

Last week, I took my second glucose test. This one required me to drink the yucky Gatorade again, and have my blood drawn a total of four times over the course of three hours. I watched Stuart Little two and a half times while sitting in the waiting room. Super.

Two days ago I finally received some good news... I do NOT have gestational diabetes!! I am healthy, and the baby is healthy. We are very relieved.

The strange thing is, now that this diabetes thing is officially over, I'm glad it happened. It felt really good to be so healthy for an entire month. I've heard that it only takes 14 days to form a habit. I think that in the last 30 days, I have made it a habit to be much more conscientious about what I'm eating. Although I'm allowed to eat more like a normal person again, I'm pretty sure I'm going to remain on my "diabetes diet." It is awesome how sweet fruit can taste when you haven't had any sugar in weeks. Pineapple and strawberries seem to be my new favorite foods.

I know that God is sovereign and that he has had a plan for this pregnancy and this baby from the beginning. It is just interesting to see how it is playing out somewhat differently than I might have planned it, yet so much better.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:7

2 comments:

  1. So that you and baby are healthy! And yea for something sweet every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing! this is really cool, caitlin, but i am just thankful you two are healthy AND that you can get a little something at starbucks, etc. :) you look GORGEOUS, and i can't wait to see you in REAL life :)

    ReplyDelete